Potassium carries proven health benefits.
It is an electrolyte that counteracts the effects of sodium, helping to maintain consistent blood pressure. Potassium is also important for maintaining the balance of acids and bases in the body. Bases are alkalis that have not yet dissolved in water.
An increase in potassium intake along with a decrease in sodium is crucial to reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease
Potassium deficiency can cause a range of symptoms and health problems.
Symptoms of low potassium levels include:
• malaise and fatigue
• weakness and muscle pain all over the body
Extremely low potassium levels can cause:
• severe muscle weakness and paralysis
• respiratory failure
• painful obstructions in the gut
• tingling, crawling, numb, or itchy sensations main felt in the hands, feet, legs, or arms
• intermittent muscle spasms